Tuesday 24 March 2015

Late March (Eclipse/Crossbill/Black Red and Octopus)!

Last Thursday the 19th March I went over to South Stack to catch up with Ken's Black Redsart. As we arrived a House Martin flew over the car. Speaking to RSPB Mark, Swallow, Sand and House Martin had been reported at South Stack, the day before, the 18th. We also had a metal only ringed Med Gull at Llanynghenedl. Later that day at Cemlyn I had my first Sand Martin of the year. Next day was the Solar eclipse. How good was that eh!! I followed it down the A55 and up the Nant Francon Valley. Then I headed up into Cloc and had a distant Goshawk soaring will a Buzzard. Also I pished in this young female Crossbill. I never tried pishung one before but it worked very well.
Saturday at Cemlyn with Tony was quiet but we had two migrant Hooded Crows fly East, one carried on past Cemaes! Otherwise the usual suspects, Whimbrel, Purps, Grey Plover and a Wheatear. I had fun Rock-pooling with the kids on Saturday afternoon, producing a lifer in the form of an Octopus! Today (Tuesday the 24th) Mike Thompson had a Swallow over Point Lynas so it seems like Spring is happening!






No comments:

Post a Comment