Monday 14 April 2014

Cyprus 3-9th April 2014



Paphos Lighthouse

I’ve recently returned from a week’s holiday in Paphos, Cyprus with my girlfriend. Our hotel was in the middle of Paphos, just a 20 minute walk to the headland birding site (mosaics). We spent a lot of time walking around the well-known mosaic area. We also took a trip across the Turkish border and a trip into the Troodos Mountains. I managed to find 75 species with Cyprus Warbler, Cyprus Wheatear, Masked Shrike, Cretzchmar’s Bunting and Semicollared Flycatcher being new for me. In the mosaic site I managed to find a nice male Dartford Warbler, apparently a first for Cyprus, though I have subsequently found more non-submitted records of the species. Here are a selection of some of my photos, any questions feel free to ask me.

Whinchats were only just arriving into Cyprus when I arrived.

Hoopoe numbers built up as the week went on.

Woodchat Shrike at Tomb of the Kings, there were 3 at the mosaic site on the last day.

Northern Wheatear with an Ortolan Bunting?

Crouching Black-eared Wheatear.

Black-eared Wheatears were common when I first arrived with numbers tailing off towards the end of the trip.
Another nice 'Eastern' Black-eared Wheatear.

Big flocks of Yellow Wagtails in the mosiacs, mostly feldegg.


Tame Cretzchmar's Bunting. One of 3.


This Masked Shrike spent the week in the mosaic site.

Masked Shrike

3 Red-rumped Swallows, numbers were building towards the end of the holiday

Singing Cyprus Wheatear in the Troodos Mountains. They were on every telegraph wire up there.


This nice flock of Squacco Herons landed on the rocks off Paphos Harbour. Great to see species like Squacco Heron migrating over the sea.

 My only Cyprus Warbler was in the Troodos Mountains, a nice singing male. I managed to see at least 7 smart looking Ruppell's Warblers around the headland and 2 Pallid Harriers, Hen Harrier, 2 Night Herons, 16 Glossy Ibis migrating overhead.

Large numbers of Red-throated Pipits were on the move. One of my highlights was watching a Nightingale land on the harbour wall whilst I was having my lunch.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Rob!

    Getting flashbacks to wandering around the Paphos headland as migrants came in off the sea. Must get back to the Eastern Med' for another fill of quality birds. Reckon I could watch Masked Shrikes all day - truly stunning birds!

    All the best

    A

    ReplyDelete