Saturday 5 May 2012

Early worm gets the Bird!

After a sleepless night with nothing but large pipit calls going through my head, I was woken by my wife asking me to stop wriggling like a worm - only one thing for it....get up. I arrived on the limestones at 5.30am just in time to see the sunrise and lone Swift flying east. Twenty minutes later and the call of a Dotterel well and truly woke me up. The bird landed briefly by the cairn before flying around me for a minute or two and heading off towards the summit. Certainly a case of the early worm getting the bird! Although quite quiet this morning, the four hours spent up there produced a few bits and pieces - a Whinchat on the limestones and around 30 Greenland type Wheatears, 3 Lesser Whitethroats by Powell's Well, three Tree Pipits over and a lone Yellow Wagtail over west as I was enjoying a hard earned cup of coffe at the north end before leaving. Two Black Guillemots were also present off the gun-site. The best pictures ever of today's Dotterel ;-/ ! And a showy female Greenalnd Wheatear waking up in the early morning sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment