Tuesday 1 May 2012

Anyone for a three-some?

 Tree Sparrow feeding on my Dad's fat balls. Another bird doing OK in Lancashire but disappearing from North Wales.
 This Mallard at HHBWCP in Holyhead had bizzare blind eyes.The eyeball appears to be filled with foamy bubbles.
 Hoodie hybrid near SS.
 Southern Screamer at Martin Mere - the missing link between Gamebirds and Wildfowl.
 There had been a Crane at Martin Mere this weekend, probably called in by one of the birds in the pens.
 Falcated ducks call like Curlews!!!!
I know older Moorhen chicks help with the younger chicks but these three seemed very cosy. 2 sat on the nest, the third bird came in and they were all preening each other. I wonder if more than 1 female lays in the same nest?

2 comments:

  1. Errrrrrwwwww... poor Mallard :-(

    As for the Moorhens, well, what can I say... a very liberal bunch of rails! Can I be arsed to leaf through BWP to see if this is normal behaviour - no!

    ReplyDelete