Monday 23 April 2012

White storks over Llandudno

While birding at Conwy RSPB reserve midday had 2 texts from Alan Davies about six white storks first over Colwyn Bay and then Llandudno so I got to the highest point I could (top of a picnic table!) and managed to get the birds for a couple of minutes circling high over Llandudno before being lost to view. Last reported heading NNW so worth keeping an eye to the sky over Anglesey. My first Conwy county record and possibly only the second county record. Apparently a flock of nine storks were reported in Worcestershire a few days ago.

3 comments:

  1. Gutted. They must have headed straight over my head! In a meeting and had my phone on silent, that will teach me! Luckily I've had white stork twice in the county before. Julian - I think it's the fifth or sixth record- but certainly the first record of six together ever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got them! An amazing record, many thanks to Becky Clews-Roberts at RSPB Conwy who passed on a call to the site about large birds over Colwyn Bay heading west! Got some v bad pics -
    www.thebiggesttwitch.com
    also pics from last weeks Biggest Twitch birding holiday in Spain please take a look.

    Alan and Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Presumably the same 6 were in Oxfordshire today.

    ReplyDelete