Wednesday 11 April 2012

Lady Amherst's Pheasants - remember me!









































I recently had a quick look in at the Old Cemetery in Halkyn where Lady Amhursts pheasants used to live. I always used to pop in there usually to end a good days birding in North Wales prior to heading back to St Helens. In the late 80's and 90's we usually bumped into the odd male. It was also a site for Hawfinches back in the day. Does anyone know if it still is? Also exactly when were the Pheasants introduced and when were they declared extinct? (Regarding the latter point I think it was in the late 1990's by Ted Abraham). Ted are you out there? It was a great little spot and they were fantastic birds. Now I think there are only a few left, in England in Bedfordshire I think. I took these photos in the last few years at Pensthorpe in Norfolk. They breed in the grounds enabling viewing in semi-natural conditions (usually around the Red Squirrel area). Does anyone have any photos or know of any photos of the Halkyn birds?


8 comments:

  1. Not been there for a couple of years now. Never did see the pheasants or the hawfinches on any visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing LAs there-had to sneak through to that drive at the back and risk getting shouted at, seem to remember a big dog or two. Real trash bird though, seems like you can just let them go, keep them fed and whahey everyone thinks they're ace. Why dont we let some go and then open a burger van in close proximity? I dont mind doing the cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to see them regularly there in the late 70s and 80s when I lived in Deeside when I went looking for hawfinch but I think they, like the hawfinches, were stopped being seen in the 90s. I did call in there last year by chance on my way back from Chester but nowt doing. I don't seem to recall any pics of them by local birders, nobody bothered really with cameras in those days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still "need" Lady A - never did drop into Halkyn.

      But what a FANTASTIC bird - might be a teeny weeny bit plastic but those are BLOODY SUPERB photos Steve!!

      Must get down to Norfolk again sometime and nail them, are they still in that Bermuda triangle place?

      So Rob, hold the spatula - I want to see this bird! And what's this - u dont mind big dogs, it's just little cows that you refuse to sneak past ;-p

      I'd risk the heifer anytime cf the Alsatian myself.

      Delete
  4. Big dogs and 12 bore shotguns Rob - I remember Alan argueing with the gamekeeper while staring down the barrel of a shotgun! Last pheasant I saw there was a cracking male Golden Pheasant in the mid 90s! Was a great little stop on the way home from the North West.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaps.
    @ Rob, trash bird!They're lovely! Happy Wedding day to you and Eimer :-) Have a good one.
    @ Julian, Steve Young and Garry Bellingham may have a shot or two, I may chase them up.
    @ Andy, it's Golden Pheasants in the Wolferton Triangle in Norfolk. But they do have black throats diagnostic of Lady Am genes. If you see them then you could have 95% Golden and 5% Lady Amhersts genes on your Avian Genetic Dayabase list, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve a fascinating bit of orno-science - I'm always desperate to add to my self-found hybrid list, the only one that counts...

      Delete
  6. My mate photographed a male Lady Amhersts Pheasant on Saturday 16th of May, 2015. It was in his back garden in Upper Prestatyn.

    ReplyDelete