Monday 12 March 2012

Spectacled Eiders!



















I spent Sunday in Devon. The reason was I wanted to see these beautiful Sea Ducks in their magnificent breeding plumage. Normally you would have to go to places like Barrow in Alaska to see them, but Devon is a bit closer. It's not particularly common in captivity in the UK but I knew they had some at Living Coast Marine Park in Torquay, Devon. I had seen them twice before whilst holidaying with the family in the South-West. However that was in August when they are in eclipse plumage. I always said I would like to return in Spring to see them in their breeding plumage, so I did and I wasn't disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. Stunning Steve...plastic but absolutely stunning. If you ever plan on going to see the real thing let me know and I'll make one!

    ReplyDelete