Tuesday 21 February 2012

Teal ID help

Interesting Female type Teal at Conwy RSPB. I was looking at the Teal from the Tal-y-fan hide, and noting the variation of the female type Teal when I picked out this bird below. I noticed it had buff notching on the Tertails. Decided to see if this was an ageing id feature of Teals but cant find any pictures/literatures that look similar or describe anything similar. All show an even edge to the feather. Does anyone know anything about this? Any ringers seen this before? Could just be something Ive never noticed before. Maybe a sign of a hybrid? Also looks like the bird has more white on the edges of the primaries that the other female type Teals. Stood out quite a lot.








4 comments:

  1. Hi Rob, what are you thinking, TealxGarganey hybrid or female American Green winged teal? Regarding the latter there was an article in Birding World a few years back. I think the females are do-able just about, but I can't lay my hands on that copy at present. AVB sacked in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking Garganey hybrid with teal too rob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe TealxGarg hybrid, bill looks Garganey esque from a distance, plus eye colour looks slightly reddish. Though I will dig out the Teal/Green-winged Teal article. From what I can tell most GW Teals also show similar tertial patterns to EU Teal patterns. Though one pic I found was of a GW Teal with a similar looking pattern to this, but only because it was a broken buff pattern rather than notches. Will keep looking.
    And yes AVB should be sacked, I could do a better job, my contract finishes in August so could take over then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article about fem Green winged Teal on Martin Garner's blog- www.birdingfrontiers.com

    ReplyDelete