Thursday 9 February 2012

Blackcap eating Privet Berries

Whilst sitting in my car at lunchtime eating a clump of brocolli and listening to the Jeremy Vine show I noticed a movement to my right. There was a lovely female Blackcap, my first of the year and it was actively feeding in a wild privet bush on the edge of Llangefni Dingle. On closer examination I could see that it was wolfing down the small black privet fruits. I watched it for a few minutes before it was flushed by a passer by, so I returned to the brocolli. I'm sure there's a letter to BB in here somewhere.............

4 comments:

  1. Just reached across from my comfy chair to the dusty white line of Poysers on the bookshelf. Persuing 'Birds & Berries' by B & D Snow reveals a section on Ligustrum vulgare with a table detailing what ate it when. Blackcap is already there so I'd forget the BB note.

    Personally, I'm more intrigued by your eating habits - are you talking a whole clump?

    Raw, steamed, boiled, sauteed or did you get all Heston with it? I'm quite partial to a bit of stir-fried myself with chilli, garlic, soy sauce and a few toasted sesame seeds for added crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raw, cos I'm hard!
    Andy, I bet you're glad you finally had an excuse to look at your book on Birds and Berries. You obviously bought it in preparation for this moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw = top man!

      Birds n Berries is not bad really. Must admit that most of my Poysers are unread - much prefer looking at the pictures - they cost a fraction of the origninal artwork e.g. Donald Watson's mindblowing Hen Harriers.

      Apparently 'The Ruff' is the most boring of the series (still need it for that reason) although 'The Pied Flycatcher' is hardly riveting.

      Delete