Tuesday 25 October 2011

Carmel head

Had Carmel head to myslef this morning in pleasant conditions. Chaffinches were coming in off the sea continuously in small flocks with the odd brambling, siskin and greenfinch mixed in. A welcoming commitee of Merlin and Kestrel waited to greet them and at one stage both were chasing the same small passerine. A couple of flyover lap bunts was nice and there were plenty of coal tits and a couple of chiffchaffs in the plantations. A quick seawatch from the end had plenty of kittiwakes feeding in the tiderace with a nice juv Sabine's gull and an arctic tern as wrell, which ain't bad for 10 mins of seawatching.
Stopping off at Llanfachraeth on the way back I had great if brief views of the lesser yellowlegs before it took off and flew south over the fields - hopefully it's not gone for good.
Further down the estuary an odd wader had me baffled. It was quite distant and into the sun. I lost it for good when I changed position so I was none the wiser. However if anyone claims a pec there in the next decade - I'm having it ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment